Friday, 9 June 2017

In black and white

I have a Kindle. I also have a Windows tablet through which I read books purchased from Kobo. You could say, I like my gadgets.

I don't. I'm not a fan of technology but I love the convenience of being able to buy and download a book from anywhere in the world.

For this reason, when people say they don't like eReaders because they like the feel of a physical book and enjoy turning pages, I hadn't really understood - until now.

Recently, I had a hankering to read a book I read years ago and haven't read for a while - Mermaid's Ground by Alice Marlow.

It's been so long since I've read a physical book that it took me a while to find my favourite bookmark!

Feeling a little old-fashioned, I sat on the train, turning my pages, while everyone around me was plugged-in, tapping, scrolling and swiping. But then, suddenly something interesting happened - I found I liked it.

I liked the fact that my electronic gadgets were tucked away in my bag. I could neither see their look-at-me glow nor hear their pick-me-up call.

More than that, I liked the feel of the pages as I turned them. I liked the musty smell of the old paper, I liked the shiny smoothness of the cover with its raised lettering.

Reading a real, physical book made me feel all warm and fuzzy and vintagey and as I finished the book, with a satisfied sigh I decided to read another.

No love lost - another Alice Marlow, as co-incidence would have it - of course there's no such thing as co-incidence. Alice Marlow is the nom-de-plume of Pamela Belle, one of my fave authors.

Bye the way, I was interviewed recently by the Border Mail about our move to the Albury-Wodonga area and the new book - the title of which is mentioned in the article. Big spoiler there, eh? Not really, I'm going to make an announcement soon anyway.

Here's the article, for your consumption, if you so desire.

Author Karen Turner relocates to Albury-Wodonga.

See you in 14!

PS this time last year, Stu and I had just arrived in Italy after spending three weeks in Ireland.
Here's one of my favourite pics from the Emerald Isle.
Romance in old Ireland
The beautiful Cliffs of Moher - Ireland



No comments:

Post a Comment